Journeys of A Man

Monday, April 16, 2007

Nashville (revisited, if only in my mind)

pulled into town with what I had packed
leaving Texas almost a thousand miles back
A sunny day, with the rocks by the road
nothing on my mind
except getting to Nashville
I-65
country music
music
all the people
all the bars
I'm in and out as fast as the drinks can flow
music always around, following me like a shadow
and all the regrets and dreams mix together
it's a constant flux of sunny and rainy weather
From the elders going to church
to the dreamers in the coffee shops
to the singers in the bars
to the stay at homes eating lunch and driving fancy cars
for me, Johnny Cash died on the radio
following a love he'd come to know
a few years later his home would burn down
burn down all the way to the ground
Friends with their perfect smiles
parking cars at Dunn's house
a wedding night drive down Hillsboro Road
singing songs as we go
the loop
Lightning on my stereo
looking for somewhere to belong
the Mercy Lounge
looking at the Nashville skyline
all lit up at night
a sense that it might be alright
in that moment
I was glad to be there
because once the moment passed
I knew it would no longer be there
music, music everywhere
music, music everywhere
The Ryman
a temple for the lyricist
a temple for the player
a temple for the singer
Nashville
I wish, I would, I will
Nashville
A look from the rooftops
No one notices, not even the cops
Old country roads
Old farm homes
Turning them to mansions and land
For the progress of mankind
Sing
Sing a song
When the day is done
It will be all I’ll have to hold on to

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home